Sunday, December 21, 2008

My feet are freezing, but the caramel corn is baking. I don't know if it is above zero here yet today, and as I stood in my kitchen making treats for this week I noticed a toe-biting draft from underneath the oven. BRRR. Luckily Micah has the fire going - unfortunately it is a game to him to see how warm he can get it, so he turns the heat down to 60 and waits. I'm still waiting... (1 hour later I am revising this because now its 70 degrees. Toasty!)
I can hardly believe that Christmas is this week. I also can hardly believe that Mason is almost 11 months old. We had our five year anniversary yesterday and I saw wrinkles under my eyes. Seriously, I'm only 27. Wrinkles? I will just say its because I'm so wise.
I learned this week that if the only creative thing I'm doing is making dinner every night then I will drive myself crazy. I absolutely have to have a creative outlet (outside of the kitchen) in order to survive this winter. This week I finally finished some burp cloths (so easy!) and started some small paintings. NO, I have NOT finished my postcards yet (no remorse, I will finish them eventually - my interest level is at a 1 in that category at the moment) but I did get a good handful sent out a few weeks ago. I'm thinking about making them into fabric recipe cards...
Thought I would grace you with a wonderful cookie recipe I had last weekend at the Pennington House Bed and Breakfast in Sumner. Micah's dad's cousin owns it and is a wonderful host. She puts on a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend for us every year.

Sandwich Cremes ~

1 c. butter, softened (no substitutes)
1/3 c. heavy cream
2 c. flour
sugar
filling
1/2 c. butter, softened (no substitutes)
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla
food coloring
In mixing bowl, combine butter, cream, flour. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle. Divide into thirds; let one portion stand at room temperature for 15 min. (keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll out) On floured surface, roll our dough to 1/8" thickness. Cut with a 1 1/2" round cookie cutter. Place cut-outs in a shallow dish filled with sugar; turn to coat. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Prick with fork several times. Bake at 375 for 7-9 min. or until set. Cool on wire racks. For filling, in a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla. Tint with food coloring. Spread about 1 t. of filling over half of cookies. Top with remaining cookies.

B&B Pics ~

Mason wants to be big like Peter. Peter wants Mason to be big like him so they can wrestle.

Merry Christmas! I hope you and your family have a Christ-filled holiday ~

1 comment:

The Story of the Murphys said...

Diane, It was great seeing you over the holiday and meeting Mason. He is adorable! If you guys are ever down in St. Louis you will have to let me know! Happy New Year!